[blfs-dev] sddm - comments

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 23 02:49:59 PDT 2015

Em 23-09-2015 02:19, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:

Thank you very much for the discussions, Bruce!

> Ken Moffat wrote:

Thank you very much for checking, Ken! You have very important results.

>> A few comments on the recent changes, and the changes which Fernando
>> proposed.
>>
>> I've now built 0.12, with PAM, on a system which has swap.

Congratulations! This is more a joke, meaning we, devs, do many things
contrary to our preferences.  :-)

>> The proposed changes:
>>
>> 1. in the bootscript, do not start or stop upower.
>>
>> I commented out the relevant lines, it works fine with the sed at
>> '3' below.

We have the same conclusion. From now on I will just say OK and comment
only when different from our conclusion (Bruce and I).

>> 2. sed to start session with ConsoleKit2
>>
>> sed -e 's/eval exec/& ck-launch-session /' \
>>      -i data/scripts/Xsession

OK.

>> 3. sed to start the greeter with upowerd
>>
>> sed -e '/UPOWER_SERVICE)/ s:^://:' \
>>      -i.orig src/daemon/PowerManager.cpp

OK

>> All of those are fine.  With my own theme, everything still works
>> (login, shutdown, reboot, suspend) and with xfce's Log Out menu I
>> have options to Log Out, Restart, Shut Down, Suspend, Hibernate.

OK. And I think that the options not only appear to work but, in your
case (X in vt7) they do work. A comment here is that "have options" is
different from "options work". In some cases, with X in vtN (tested with
N=1,2,3 and 7) if N <7, either Restart or Shut Down does not complete.
You get a black screen, things look like stopped, but hangs, never
powering off (either for good or for restart).

>> So, I think all of those changes should be added.
>>
>> There was one other sed, to ensure that those themes which show a
>> keyboard flag will get the right flag(s) - I used a variant to force
>> a British keyboard only, and it gave me the correct flag
>> (previously, I had an American flag in those themes) -
>>
>> sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "gb"' \
>>         -i.orig data/scripts/Xsetup
>>
>> However, for me, and probably for a _few_ other people, that sed is
>> disastrous - it forces the default option for {each,the} selected
>> language.  I happen to use two personal variants of the gb keymaps,
>> 'deader' (more dead keys - greek, comma, stroke, horn, hook) and
>> 'rusphon' (phonetic russian, with some extra cyrillic letters,
>> mapped to a GB keyboard).
>>
>> With that sed, I cannot access any of my additions.  So, I rebuilt
>> without that sed.
>>
>> That will affect anybody who uses a non-default variation in their
>> keyboard conf file for X (e.g. Dvorak, perhaps US international [ I'm
>> not sure which are the defaults) ].

Here is the orthogonal part, but I prefer to take you advice. However, I
will investigate a little further if there is a possibility of getting
the right variant.

>> Some other minor comments -
>>
>> When shutting down, the messages appear on tty7, as previously
>> noted.  Perhaps we should remark on that, either in the book or the
>> wiki ?

First, this was a point of much discussion, and you get the right value:
X should be in the first unused tty, normally 7, so, you are good.

I agree with you. When adding the part about X needing to be in the
first unused tty, normally 7, we can add a comment that the at poweroff
or reboot, the messages will appear in that new "X" tty.

>> I also now have my selected icons if I use the maui theme - thanks,
>> Fernando.

(Embarrassed) you are welcome.

>> A further comment on the greeter : I did not manage to get it to
>> display a theme using sddm-greeter --test /path/to/theme, only a
>> white window.  Perhaps that is an environment problem (you will
>> recall that I do not use the BLFS scripts to set PATHs etc) and it
>> isn't important.

Here, you are using:

sddm-greeter --test /path/to/theme

But from

sddm-greeter --help

you will see that the correct is:

sddm-greeter --test-mode /path/to/theme

--test-mode, not --test

This is valid also for sddm:

sddm --test-mode

Having said that, I cannot assure that this change will solve your
problem. Later on, I will restart in xfce,

> Ken, Fernando and I have been discussing sddm quite a bit.  For the most
> part I think your comment are orthogonal to what we ave been doing, but
> please wait a couple of days for our changes to show up in the book and
> then we can all review together.

Bruce, from my understanding of orthogonal, I'd rather consider Ken's
comment closer to parallel. Angle closer to 0 than to 90°.

Again, thanks to both of you for the discussions.

Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus