[blfs-dev] dhcpcd overrides /var/tmp permissions?

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Wed Sep 23 05:28:40 PDT 2015

Hi,

When starting KDE4 with the "xinitrc" method, I got an error in an X dialog:
------------
Call to lnusertemp failed (temporary directories full?). Check your
installation.
------------

and there is this message in the terminal where I typed "startx":
------------
Error: cannot create directory "/var/tmp/kde-cache-pierre": Permission
denied

So I looked at /var/tmp:
pierre [ ~ ]$ ls -ld /var/tmp
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 4096 23 sept. 13:48 /var/tmp

However, /var/tmp is created in LFS "Creating Directories" page as:

install -dv -m 1777 /tmp /var/tmp

So somehow, the permissions got changed. I grepped the BLFS source for /var/tmp and found only one page where it occured: dhcpcd:
There is the configure option --dbdir=/var/tmp

So my guess is that dhcpcd changes the permissions of its "dbdir". It might be better to use another name?

Pierre