[blfs-dev] dhcpcd overrides /var/tmp permissions?

Pierre Labastie pierre.labastie at neuf.fr
Wed Sep 23 12:52:03 PDT 2015

On 23/09/2015 18:27, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

> So install changes the permissions of an existing directory.  The install
> command is in my dhcpcd package log. So we need to change it back after make
> install or do a sed to make it
>
> install -m1777 -d /var/tmp
>
> Alternatively, we can change the switch to --dbdir=/var/tmp/dhcpcd or perhaps
> /var/cache/dhcpcd.  The default is /var/db.  We could use that, but right now
> I am in favor of /var/cache/dhcpcd.
>
>   -- Bruce

Not sure that /var/cache is the best place, since according to the FHS, it may
be emptied by the system administrator. /var/cache is mainly for storing data
which take a long time to be computed, but can be regenerated by the
application if needed.

Maybe /var/lib/dhcpcd? According to FHS:
"[The /var/lib] hierarchy holds state information pertaining to an application
or the system. State information is data that programs modify while they run,
and that pertains to one specific host.[...]. State information is generally
used to preserve the condition of an application (or a group of inter-related
applications) between invocations and between different instances of the same
application. State information should generally remain valid after a reboot,
should not be logging output, and should not be spooled data [...]". This is
close to what a lease is (dbdir is primarily where dhcpcd stores leases).

Pierre