[blfs-dev] sddm - comments

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Wed Sep 23 14:50:49 PDT 2015

Em 23-09-2015 09:56, Fernando de Oliveira escreveu:

> I only use -i.orig here, so a can revert without having to untart a new
> source or make a copy of the original source code before starting.
>
> I also use for system files, when doing tests, but first search if there
> is already such backup, and gve a different extension for the new
> backup, such as -i.not.orig or -i.orig2.

> First, due to your problem, this will be moved to "Configuration", with
> the sed being applied to
>
> sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "gb"' \
>        -i.orig

Correcting

sed -e '/Xsetup/ a setxkbmap "gb"' \
    -i.orig /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup

> This will avoid the need to rebuild.
>
> Second, I would like to know how you define your keyboards.
>
> I define mine in
>
> $ cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "evdev"
>         Option          "XkbModel" "pc105"
>         Option          "XkbLayout" "br"
>         Option          "XkbVariant" "abnt2"
>
> It is also defined in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf:
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>         Driver "evdev"
> EndSection
>
> I am now with lxqt started from sdddm (runlevel 5). I am using:
>
> $ cat /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
> #!/bin/sh
> # Xsetup - run as root before the login dialog appears
> #setxkbmap "br,us"
> setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout br,us -variant abnt2 -keycodes evdev

Following results are misleading.

> This is the configuration of the keyboard:
>
> $ setxkbmap -print -verbose 10
> Setting verbose level to 10
> locale is C
> Trying to load rules file ./rules/evdev...
> Trying to load rules file /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev...
> Success.
> Applied rules from evdev:
> rules:      evdev
> model:      pc105
> layout:     br,us
> variant:    abnt2,
> Trying to build keymap using the following components:
> keycodes:   evdev+aliases(qwerty)
> types:      complete
> compat:     complete
> symbols:    pc+br(abnt2)+us:2+inet(evdev)
> geometry:   pc(pc105)
> xkb_keymap {
>         xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_symbols   { include "pc+br(abnt2)+us:2+inet(evdev)" };
>         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
> };
>
> For facilitating future discussions, these tw other forms also give
> information:
>
> $ setxkbmap -print
> xkb_keymap {
>         xkb_keycodes  { include "evdev+aliases(qwerty)" };
>         xkb_types     { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_compat    { include "complete"      };
>         xkb_symbols   { include "pc+br(abnt2)+us:2+inet(evdev)" };
>         xkb_geometry  { include "pc(pc105)"     };
> };
>

> and
>
> $ setxkbmap -query
> rules:      evdev
> model:      pc105
> layout:     br,us
> variant:    abnt2,

End of misleading part.

Explanation.

I have defined for lxqt the keyboards layouts with

lxqt-config-input

> I can change that during the session (doing now):
>
> $ setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout br,us -variant abnt2,dvorak -keycodes evdev
> $ setxkbmap -query
> rules:      evdev
> model:      pc105
> layout:     br,us
> variant:    abnt2,dvorak
>

> I've tried Xsetup with that command with dvorak.
>
> However, it only modified  sddm-greeter, the session query didn't
> display dvorak:

Yes, it did. I removed lxqt session configuration:

rm -v .config/lxqt/session.conf

Logout, changed to vt1 to restart sddm with

$ tail -1 /usr/share/sddm/scripts/Xsetup
setxkbmap -model pc105 -layout br,us -variant abnt2,dvorak -keycodes evdev

and that was the keyboard configuration I got.

> variant: abnt2,
>
> that I understand it is configuring us with default variant.

variant: abnt2,dvorak

> Thus, I will include that in the configuration session, with some more
> comments, if we agree, which would include the form of defining the
> keyboard where it wouldn't work and the "flag us" or "??" (double
> question marks" would be preferable, because it will choose the right
> one, when you start typing the password.
>

> What do you think?

Still ask the question, but first apologies for my mistake.

>> Here is the orthogonal part, but I prefer to take you advice. However, I
>> will investigate a little further if there is a possibility of getting
>> the right variant.

>> First, this was a point of much discussion, and you get the right value:
>> X should be in the first unused tty, normally 7, so, you are good.
>>
>> I agree with you. When adding the part about X needing to be in the
>> first unused tty, normally 7, we can add a comment that the at poweroff
>> or reboot, the messages will appear in that new "X" tty.

>> Here, you are using:
>>
>> sddm-greeter --test /path/to/theme
>>
>> But from
>>
>> sddm-greeter --help
>>
>> you will see that the correct is:
>>
>> sddm-greeter --test-mode /path/to/theme
>>
>> --test-mode, not --test
>>
>> This is valid also for sddm:
>>
>> sddm --test-mode
>>
>> Having said that, I cannot assure that this change will solve your
>> problem. Later on, I will restart in xfce,
>>

>>> Ken, Fernando and I have been discussing sddm quite a bit.  For the most
>>> part I think your comment are orthogonal to what we ave been doing, but
>>> please wait a couple of days for our changes to show up in the book and
>>> then we can all review together.
>>
>> Bruce, from my understanding of orthogonal, I'd rather consider Ken's
>> comment closer to parallel. Angle closer to 0 than to 90°.
>>
>> Again, thanks to both of you for the discussions.

Still thanking both of you as before, but adding the patience you both have.

I am not seeing very well, now. Will start creating a ticket to handle
all these and other features discussed by Bruce. To morrow, will try to
fix the ticket description.

Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus