[blfs-dev] sddm - comments

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Wed Sep 23 16:45:51 PDT 2015

On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 06:49:59AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> Em 23-09-2015 02:19, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
>
> Thank you very much for the discussions, Bruce!
>
> > Ken Moffat wrote:
>
> Thank you very much for checking, Ken! You have very important results.
>

> >> A few comments on the recent changes, and the changes which Fernando
> >> proposed.
> >>
> >> I've now built 0.12, with PAM, on a system which has swap.
>
> Congratulations! This is more a joke, meaning we, devs, do many things
> contrary to our preferences.  :-)

Thanks - it definitely reminded me why I don't like PAM.

> >> The proposed changes:
> >>
> >> 1. in the bootscript, do not start or stop upower.
> >>
> >> I commented out the relevant lines, it works fine with the sed at
> >> '3' below.
>
> We have the same conclusion. From now on I will just say OK and comment
> only when different from our conclusion (Bruce and I).

[ snipping most of this ]

> >> A further comment on the greeter : I did not manage to get it to
> >> display a theme using sddm-greeter --test /path/to/theme, only a
> >> white window.  Perhaps that is an environment problem (you will
> >> recall that I do not use the BLFS scripts to set PATHs etc) and it
> >> isn't important.
>
> Here, you are using:
>
> sddm-greeter --test /path/to/theme
>
> But from
>
> sddm-greeter --help
>
> you will see that the correct is:
>
> sddm-greeter --test-mode /path/to/theme
>
> --test-mode, not --test
>
> This is valid also for sddm:
>
> sddm --test-mode
>
> Having said that, I cannot assure that this change will solve your
> problem. Later on, I will restart in xfce,

We spoke about this in July or August, I think.  I had taken the
--test from a github page.

Using --testmode did not fix it for me.  As I indicated, it might be
because I have not passed some of the environment (e.g. QML
variables) to my session.

> Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus

Oh dear 8)