[blfs-dev] BLFS 7.8 Status

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 24 16:47:27 PDT 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:40:09PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>
> >I am trying to get back to normal working speed, still without success.
> >Have not yet started LFS-7.8-rc1.
>
> OK, I think we can finish tagging without you doing it.  It's better to have
> a 2nd set of eyes on the packages anyway.  As of this message, there are 60
> packages left to tag: 28 gnome, 22 lxqt, 3 networking, 6 server, and lxdm.

I agree about a 2nd set of eyes.

> The only thing I need from you is ticket #6972 (Fix starting X).
>
> The only other tickets are Plasma5 which I will be working on tonight and
> the bind security update.

Can I mention the perl module ticket, used by bind's tessuite ?  I
think it was Net-DNS.  I build that while testing the
Mail-SpamAssassin *builds*, but I do not regard that as verification
that the module works, and certainly not in the context of Bind.

> >I like not tagging the packages I usually update, because I may be
> >reproducing the same mistake. Therefore, if somebody could tag lxqt and
> >gnome, I really appreciate.
> >
> >About gnome, first i started thinking in updating to 3.18.0 for 7.8, but
> >it depends on many other packages and could fail to build, without the
> >new gtk.3,gdk-pixbuf, and many others that need to be updated but are
> >not security nor at the end of the chain.
>
> Agree.  Lets keep the freeze for gnome and lxqt.

For gnome, after merging the v3 packages into the book I rather wish
I had not done that - in its early  days, v3 was still somewhat usable,
now it seems to be much less so.  But anyway -

Has anybody *recently* reviewed the runtime gnome packages ?

I am thinking about trying to test what I can (I use evince and
gucharmap, but without recommended deps such as gobject-introspection
and nautilus, so for the moment I cannot tag them).  Some things I
cannot test, e.g. cheese (needs a supported movie camera, I think)
and the networkmanager applet (no wifi on my machines running 7.8,
and similarly I built NetworkManager itself for *latest* plasma but
without trying to *use* it I do not regard that as a sufficient test
of whether or not it works - after all, it's primary purpose is for
wifi).

But then I looked at the gnome runtime deps - I see totem-pl-parser,
and I remember it from when I used (or, at some times, *tried* to
use) totem.  But AFAICS nothing *directly* references it (totem, and
its string of dependencies, have been archived).

So, if I were to build everything from the gnome packages, how would
I know if totem-pl-parser is working ?

I have not looked at the other not-yet-tagged runtime deps, perhaps
there are more questionable items.