[blfs-dev] BLFS 7.8 Status

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Thu Sep 24 17:23:46 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 04:40:09PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to get back to normal working speed, still without success.
>>> Have not yet started LFS-7.8-rc1.
>>
>> OK, I think we can finish tagging without you doing it.  It's better to have
>> a 2nd set of eyes on the packages anyway.  As of this message, there are 60
>> packages left to tag: 28 gnome, 22 lxqt, 3 networking, 6 server, and lxdm.
>>

> I agree about a 2nd set of eyes.
>
>> The only thing I need from you is ticket #6972 (Fix starting X).
>>
>> The only other tickets are Plasma5 which I will be working on tonight and
>> the bind security update.
>
> Can I mention the perl module ticket, used by bind's tessuite ?  I
> think it was Net-DNS.  I build that while testing the
> Mail-SpamAssassin *builds*, but I do not regard that as verification
> that the module works, and certainly not in the context of Bind.
>>
>>> I like not tagging the packages I usually update, because I may be
>>> reproducing the same mistake. Therefore, if somebody could tag lxqt and
>>> gnome, I really appreciate.
>>>
>>> About gnome, first i started thinking in updating to 3.18.0 for 7.8, but
>>> it depends on many other packages and could fail to build, without the
>>> new gtk.3,gdk-pixbuf, and many others that need to be updated but are
>>> not security nor at the end of the chain.
>>
>> Agree.  Lets keep the freeze for gnome and lxqt.
>>
> For gnome, after merging the v3 packages into the book I rather wish
> I had not done that - in its early  days, v3 was still somewhat usable,
> now it seems to be much less so.  But anyway -
>
> Has anybody *recently* reviewed the runtime gnome packages ?
>
> I am thinking about trying to test what I can (I use evince and
> gucharmap, but without recommended deps such as gobject-introspection
> and nautilus, so for the moment I cannot tag them).  Some things I
> cannot test, e.g. cheese (needs a supported movie camera, I think)

I can test cheese.

> and the networkmanager applet (no wifi on my machines running 7.8,
> and similarly I built NetworkManager itself for *latest* plasma but
> without trying to *use* it I do not regard that as a sufficient test
> of whether or not it works - after all, it's primary purpose is for
> wifi).

I can look.  I added a wifi card to my test system and find it
reasonably quick.  I also do not have to worry about pulling ethernet
cable between rooms.

> But then I looked at the gnome runtime deps - I see totem-pl-parser,
> and I remember it from when I used (or, at some times, *tried* to
> use) totem.  But AFAICS nothing *directly* references it (totem, and
> its string of dependencies, have been archived).
>
> So, if I were to build everything from the gnome packages, how would
> I know if totem-pl-parser is working ?

gnome/applications/brasero.xml:      <xref linkend="totem-pl-parser"/>

However I don't know what I'd need to do to actually *use*
totem-pl-parser.  Generally for libraries I consider the build
successful if it is properly linked to parent apps.  It's really
upstream's job to do detailed testing.