[blfs-dev] BLFS 7.8 Status

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Thu Sep 24 18:39:38 PDT 2015

Em 24-09-2015 21:23, Bruce Dubbs escreveu:
> Ken Moffat wrote:

>>> OK, I think we can finish tagging without you doing it.  It's better
>>> to have
>>> a 2nd set of eyes on the packages anyway.  As of this message, there
>>> are 60
>>> packages left to tag: 28 gnome, 22 lxqt, 3 networking, 6 server, and
>>> lxdm.
>>>

>> I agree about a 2nd set of eyes.
>>
>>> The only thing I need from you is ticket #6972 (Fix starting X).
>>>
>>> The only other tickets are Plasma5 which I will be working on tonight
>>> and
>>> the bind security update.
>>
>> Can I mention the perl module ticket, used by bind's tessuite ?  I
>> think it was Net-DNS.  I build that while testing the
>> Mail-SpamAssassin *builds*, but I do not regard that as verification
>> that the module works, and certainly not in the context of Bind.

IIRC, something, a test (?) of Bind depends on it.

That's why I do both at the same time and they are normally released
almost simultaneously.

>>> Agree.  Lets keep the freeze for gnome and lxqt.
>>>
>> For gnome, after merging the v3 packages into the book I rather wish
>> I had not done that - in its early  days, v3 was still somewhat usable,
>> now it seems to be much less so.  But anyway -
>>
>> Has anybody *recently* reviewed the runtime gnome packages ?
>>
>> I am thinking about trying to test what I can (I use evince and
>> gucharmap, but without recommended deps such as gobject-introspection
>> and nautilus, so for the moment I cannot tag them).  Some things I
>> cannot test, e.g. cheese (needs a supported movie camera, I think)
>
> I can test cheese.
>
>> and the networkmanager applet (no wifi on my machines running 7.8,
>> and similarly I built NetworkManager itself for *latest* plasma but
>> without trying to *use* it I do not regard that as a sufficient test
>> of whether or not it works - after all, it's primary purpose is for
>> wifi).
>
> I can look.  I added a wifi card to my test system and find it
> reasonably quick.  I also do not have to worry about pulling ethernet
> cable between rooms.

No need of wifi to test nm-applet. It is for all connections. I never
use NM, but to test it and nm-applet (which) are released
simultaneously, just instal both, start nm-applet (after having started
BN, and change from one conection to the other, that uses DHCPCD, then
othe with fixed ip, then kill nm-applet, stop NM, and restart the network.

>> But then I looked at the gnome runtime deps - I see totem-pl-parser,
>> and I remember it from when I used (or, at some times, *tried* to
>> use) totem.  But AFAICS nothing *directly* references it (totem, and
>> its string of dependencies, have been archived).
>>
>> So, if I were to build everything from the gnome packages, how would
>> I know if totem-pl-parser is working ?
>
> gnome/applications/brasero.xml:      <xref linkend="totem-pl-parser"/>
>
> However I don't know what I'd need to do to actually *use*
> totem-pl-parser.  Generally for libraries I consider the build
> successful if it is properly linked to parent apps.  It's really
> upstream's job to do detailed testing.
>
>   -- Bruce

Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus