[blfs-dev] sddm - comments

Fernando de Oliveira famobr at yahoo.com.br
Sat Sep 26 05:35:10 PDT 2015

Em 23-09-2015 20:57, Ken Moffat escreveu:
> On Wed, Sep 23, 2015 at 09:56:11AM -0300, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

>> I only use -i.orig here, so a can revert without having to untart a new
>> source or make a copy of the original source code before starting.
>>

> If you keep the built source around, then yes, you can copy the
> original script over wherever it gets installed.  I don't.

No, it is how I find the correct sed for some needed fix, when doing an
update. Before, I needed to keep a complete original source code, or
untar a new one, if I forgot.

> So you are going to do it after the install ?

Yes, it is already there. I still have a one fix, but is just format and
fix grammar (I hope will fix right), in one <para> wich will be split
into two.

>> Second, I would like to know how you define your keyboards.
>>
>> I define mine in
>>
>> $ cat /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/00-keyboard.conf
>> Section "InputClass"
>>         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
>>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>>         Driver "evdev"
>>         Option          "XkbModel" "pc105"
>>         Option          "XkbLayout" "br"
>>         Option          "XkbVariant" "abnt2"
>>

> Mine is in 11-keyboard.conf, in the same place :

Before I modified directly in 10-evdev.conf. But after the struggle with
sddm, some people told that they had the keyboard defined by
00-keyboard.conf file, although at /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/. That sddm
could find and use that file. never worked, here, and I lefte it at our
BLFS default directory.

> # Based on a posting on the xorg lists, adapted
> #
> Section "InputClass"
>         Identifier "keyboard-all"
>         Driver "evdev"
> 	# for my own russian variant, specific to a gb keyboard, I put it in gb
>         Option "XkbLayout" "gb,gb"
>         Option "XkbModel" "evdev"
> 	# add my own 'deader' gb variant - more dead keys
> 	Option "XkbVariant" "deader,rusphon"
>         Option "XkbOptions" "ctrl_alt_bksp,grp:lctrl_lwin_rctrl_menu,compose:caps"
>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
> EndSection

Good to having this example. Teaches me new things. Thanks.

>> It is also defined in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf:
>> Section "InputClass"
>>         Identifier "evdev keyboard catchall"
>>         MatchIsKeyboard "on"
>>         MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
>>         Driver "evdev"
>> EndSection
>
> Pedantically, the evdev file does not alter the mapping, it only
> makes sure it used the evdev driver.

OK, thanks.

>> Thus, I will include that in the configuration session, with some more
>> comments, if we agree, which would include the form of defining the
>> keyboard where it wouldn't work and the "flag us" or "??" (double
>> question marks" would be preferable, because it will choose the right
>> one, when you start typing the password.
>>

>> What do you think?
>>

> As long as that part is not required, I'm not particularly fussed
> about the wording.  Usually, all of us come up with wording which
> looks good but later gets misinterpreted.

Yes. Thanks, again.

Fernando, soon to be called Sisyphus