[blfs-dev] Plasma5 woes

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 26 15:37:05 PDT 2015

On Sat, Sep 26, 2015 at 03:56:18PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >On Fri, Sep 25, 2015 at 06:24:58PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> >>I've built plasma-5.4.1, but I can't get it to start.  krunner crashes.
>
> >I have no useful comment at this point, other than to note that
> >5.4.0 works fine for me, albeit rather slow to start.  That is for
> >7.8 builds without PAM, although I very much doubt that is relevant.
>
> I've rebuilt qt5, kf5, and plasma5 in debug mode and run gdb against
> krunner.  About the only thing I can say is that the segfault happens deep
> in qt5, although I think it's a kde problem.
>
> I could back up to 5.4.0 and test it, but I'm reluctant to do that for
> blfs-7.8.  It just seems to fragile.
>
> My best solution for now is to remove plasma5 from blfs and say that it is
> not stable enough to put in the book.  As soon as 7.8 is released, we can
> put what I have now back into -dev.
>
> Fernando, Ken, any objections?
>
>   -- Bruce

After I looked at what you added, no.  Those bugs are mostly to do
with multiple monitors, but I guess you have so many CPUs that you
are working the QT or kde code harder.

More generally, a lot of the applications have still not completed
their move to frameworks, so I suppose it is probably a bit too
bleeding-edge for a release.