[blfs-dev] Building LXQT

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 10:00:11 PDT 2015

Pierre Labastie wrote:
> On 27/09/2015 15:12, Fernando de Oliveira wrote:

>>> I am not sure there is a need to change the xml names: their whole path is
>>> _not_ generic. Problem with the id's is that they have to be unique inside the
>>> whole book, and they have no context.
>>>
>>> Pierre
>>>

>> I do have other problems with files having the same name. So I am sure
>> "there is a need to change the xml names" even if "their whole path is
>> _not_ generic". No, I wont't write them.
>>
>> Normally, I warite things not only because I had an idea, but something
>> was needed or a difficulty or problem hit me.
>>
>> But with this reply, I can safely say: everybody agrees other than
>> Fernando being an update machine, everything else Fernando thinks only
>> matters to himself.
>>
>> Bye.
>>

> I just wrote "I am not sure". It means exactly that there may be a problem,
> which I do not know. And your post did not tell what the problem was. I
> certainly would be happy to learn, and I am confident you could teach me a
> lot. Anyway nobody writes, says or thinks what you write in the 3rd paragraph.

I agree that file names, both xml and html should be specific enough to
identify them uniquely without relying on the path.  If an editor makes
such a a change to make things clear, I see no problem as long as the
book renders properly.  I don't think notice is required. Just explain
in the commit comments.

For internal issues like an id, the same applies.  More descriptive
names are good, but I generally-do-not-like-very-long-names.  It's best
to limit names to under about 15 characters if possible.  Of course
global names like an id can be too short.  Unique, well known short
names like gdb are ok, but packages like BerkeleyDB use just db and that
is too short/non-unique.