[blfs-dev] gnome tagging

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 12:40:34 PDT 2015

Ken,

   I know you are going to tag gnome, but I needed to get some gnome
apps running so I ran through all of them in the book.  They all build
without issues.  All but three seem to run fine.  The ones that don't:

cheese: doesn't yet recognize my camera.  Perhaps it is a kernel issue
and will continue to check.
========
gnome-terminal: From an xfce desktop, I get

Error constructing proxy for
org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0:
Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal:
GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited:
Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8

I'm not sure what is going on there.  I see some similar messages for
earlier versions of gnome terminal with things like out of date vte or
no LANG or LC_* options.  Those should not be a problem for us, but I
have a suspicion that it now needs systemd. :(  Hope I'm wrong about that.

If that's the case, then we should just drop gnome-terminal.  We have
xterm, lxterminal, konsole (kde4 and kf5 variants), xfce4-terminal as
alternatives.
========
For yelp, I only tried it directly.  It seems to work if I asked for an
index.  I have almost everything in blfs except lxqt installed per book
instructions.
========
network-manager-applet: comes up but doesn't do anything.  I've been
testing wicd and I may not have network manager set up properly.