[blfs-dev] gnome tagging

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Sun Sep 27 13:59:48 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 02:40:34PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:

>> gnome-terminal: From an xfce desktop, I get
>>
>> Error constructing proxy for
>> org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0:
>> Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal:
>> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited:
>> Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8

> This reply is being typed in gnome-terminal :)  I opened it from the
> menu (in an xfce desktop).  No issues here.

I'll try to see what the problem is.  Do you get any output if you just
type gnome-terminal from another terminal's command line?

I do note that in the System menu, I have:

Konsole (from kde4)
Konsole (from kf5)
LxTerminal
Terminal
XFCE Terminal

I then went into gnome-terminal.desktop and manually changed to:

Name=Gnome Terminal

We probably ought to do that in the book.

When I try the gnome terminal from the xfce system menu, I get nothing.
  I can't find any messages about it either.

If I run, gnome-terminal --help, that works, so there is probably some
configuration issue on my end.

>> ========
>> network-manager-applet: comes up but doesn't do anything.  I've been testing
>> wicd and I may not have network manager set up properly.
>>
> I built it, but AFAICS there is no program, only an xdg autostart
> file.

It should install nm-connection-editor.  That's what I tested.

I do have an icon with a tool tip that says "Networking Disabled", but I
still need to de-conflict with wicd.