[blfs-dev] On new build, svn is asking for my password

Ken Moffat zarniwhoop at ntlworld.com
Tue Sep 29 14:01:03 PDT 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 03:10:20PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Ken Moffat wrote:
> >Hi, I've just-about finished upgrading my server from 7.6 to 7.8.
> >My local repos are in /home/ken, so they are what I was using on the
> >old system.  I've just tried 'svn up' on the blfs, and then on the
> >patches, repos - both failed.
> >
> >I get prompted for my *password* at svn.linuxfromscratch.org - I use
> >a passphrase, it seems that I really am being asked for a password.
> >And I thought that I used to get asked for my passphrase at *higgs*
> >rather than at 'svn'.
> >
> >I'm confused!
>
> I suppose you did a svn+ssh:// checkout.  You need to get your ssh to higgs
> working first.  Then the update should be OK.
>
>   -- Bruce

Indeed. The checkout was years ago.  From 7.8, I get asked for a
password if I try to ssh to higgs.  I just rebooted to 7.6 for a
couple of minutes - ssh to higgs asks me for the passphrase for the
key, and works.  I then updated my patches repo and again got asked
for the passphrase (I had forgotten that this shows path/keyfile in
the prompt).  So, in 7.6 all was well - and since the key, and the
repos, are in /home which is shared between the two systems, all the
data is ok.  But now I've booted 7.8 again it still asks me for a
password.

Also, my initial post, and your reply, showed up twice - everything
else on the lists is only showing once.  But for the moment that is
a minor annoyance, unlike svn+ssh.