[blfs-dev] On new build, svn is asking for my password

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 20:47:59 PDT 2015

Ken Moffat wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 03:10:20PM -0500, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>> Ken Moffat wrote:
>>> Hi, I've just-about finished upgrading my server from 7.6 to 7.8.
>>> My local repos are in /home/ken, so they are what I was using on the
>>> old system.  I've just tried 'svn up' on the blfs, and then on the
>>> patches, repos - both failed.
>>>
>>> I get prompted for my *password* at svn.linuxfromscratch.org - I use
>>> a passphrase, it seems that I really am being asked for a password.
>>> And I thought that I used to get asked for my passphrase at *higgs*
>>> rather than at 'svn'.
>>>
>>> I'm confused!
>>
>> I suppose you did a svn+ssh:// checkout.  You need to get your ssh to higgs
>> working first.  Then the update should be OK.
>>
>>    -- Bruce
>>
> Indeed. The checkout was years ago.  From 7.8, I get asked for a
> password if I try to ssh to higgs.  I just rebooted to 7.6 for a
> couple of minutes - ssh to higgs asks me for the passphrase for the
> key, and works.  I then updated my patches repo and again got asked
> for the passphrase (I had forgotten that this shows path/keyfile in
> the prompt).  So, in 7.6 all was well - and since the key, and the
> repos, are in /home which is shared between the two systems, all the
> data is ok.  But now I've booted 7.8 again it still asks me for a
> password.
>
> Also, my initial post, and your reply, showed up twice - everything
> else on the lists is only showing once.  But for the moment that is
> a minor annoyance, unlike svn+ssh.

I think the difference is in either ssh or ssl.  I think there are some
ciphers no longer supported.  Try ssh -vv to see some debugging messages.

I had the same problem between my normal workstation and my lfs
development system.  On my devel system I had to add

PubkeyAcceptedKeyTypes +ssh-dss

to /etc/ssh/sshd_config.  You may just want to generate new keys.