[blfs-dev] libnotify-0.7.6 in Seamonkey, Thunderbird and Firefox

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 10:58:01 PDT 2015

Fernando de Oliveira wrote:
> This is bothering me for years, perhaps. Have asked long ago, no reply.
>
> It is always there in the pages and scripts. It does nothing, for me, at
> runtime. Or does it?

I really don't know what it does here.  In SM, grepping through my build
directory I see:

mailnews/base/src/nsMessengerUnixIntegration.cpp:

// determine if we should use libnotify or the built-in alert system

Reading more comments there indicate that there should be an indication
of new mail in the system tray.  I don't know if it is used in FF or not.

> I don't know enough to completely understand this code, worse yet the
> entire file, but it seems to me this is a left over code.

Me either.  AFAIK, the build doesn't complain if

ac_add_options --disable-libnotify

is in mozconfig, so I would prefer to leave it.

> These results seem to demonstrate that from the three mozconfigs
> libnotify can be removed.
>
> I am not 100% sure if it can be remove from the dependencies.
>
> Please, some opinions? Should it be completely removed?

Not before release, but have you tried to build SM without
--disable-libnotify and with libnotifyso removed?