Hardware query...

jerry jdinardo at ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 17 04:48:15 PDT 2001

I have an Athlon 900 with 200(100) fsb and it works pretty good with ata66
drive. A lot of people seem to have trouble with the via drivers for
dma disk io. VIA is the most common chipset on athlon mb's so there is
a good chance that this system uses it. I think you will need linux 2.4.x
for ata 100 support (i do not know if ata 100 is in newer 2.2 kernels) and
you would want 2.4.3 or latest because of via problems.
New high end mb's are starting to support ddr memory instead of pc133.
if this mb can not , that may be the reason for the good price.
jpd