Korn shell - was [OT] Re: for me unsolvable prob with login and dev tty

Chris F.A. Johnson c.f.a.johnson at home.com
Fri Apr 27 20:58:20 PDT 2001

On Fri, 27 Apr 2001, J. E. Garrott, Sr wrote:

> "Chris F.A. Johnson" wrote:

> > > Actually, my question is:  What does bash give that
> > > ksh doesn't?
> >
> > >From the shell differences FAQ, the places where they differ, and
> > relevant notes:
> >
> >                                      ksh  bash
> > Rebindable Command line editing      N    Y
> > History completion                   N    Y
> > Mh Mailbox completion                N    N(4)
> > Co Processes                         Y    N
> > Process Substitution                 N    Y(2)
> > Freely Available                     N(5) Y
> > Has non-login startup file           Y(7) Y
> > Can avoid user startup files         N    Y
>
> Interesting, although I, so far, haven't had any use for
> the N's in the ksh column.  I admit the limitation is mine.

The feature that I would sorely miss is history completion.

> Actually, in response to (5) at
>
> http://www.research.att.com/sw/download/
>
> source code can be found for the ATT ksh93.

Thanks; got it.

>   It isn't under
> the GNU license, but it is freely available.

AFAICT, after a quick perusal, the license appears to be somewhat
restrictive.

> If you want to get it and build it, get the source from
> ftp.slackware.com current.  It's easier to modify and use
> the Slackware build script than follow the ATT instructions.

I see what you mean. I DLed the source from AT&T and took a look at it.
(I'll take a look at the Slackware package shortly.)
Then I downloaded the binary.

After I stripped the binary, ksh was still larger than bash (620,152 to
549,480 bytes). I might have been prepared to forgo some features if ksh
were considerably smaller. As it isn't, I can see no reason to switch.

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org
	cfaj at freeshell.org	    http://members.home.net/c.f.a.johnson

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org