Notes on installing LFS

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Tue Jan 2 07:40:32 PST 2001

ken_i_m wrote:

> Congrats on your new system.
>
> At 01:25 AM 1/2/01 -0500, you wrote:
>
> >2. LFS-BOOK-INTEL-2.4.3-HTML/ch04-creatingpart.html
> >         Creating a new partition
> >
> >         "I recommend a partition size of around 750 MB"
> >
> >This is only large enough if one deletes the source directories after
> >compilation. This should be made clear, and the space needed to hold
> >everything should be given.
>
> I made this same comment. Gerard gently pointed me to the section where
> this is mentioned.

actually, 750 megs is more than enough... but there are a few snags...

The actual size of the final LFS system will go over 750 is your
binaries aren't stripped.  If you're finding space problems, strip /bin,
/usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /lib, and /usr/lib of debugging symbols...
this SHOULD make the size well below the 750 MB mark.  But, yes,
removing the source dirs is probably a good idea :) ... it's like have
2+ LFS installed systems on one partition...

>  >Lynx compiled with one minor adjustment, mentioned at the end of the
>  >PROBLEMS file, as well as in the LFS hints.
>
> Now that Simon has gone through the hints I will have to go back and
> revisit them. I spent an hour last night figuring this one out for myself.

I believe that the problem exists in glibc 2.1.3 ...ERR NO or something
like that..it's detailed in the PROBLEMS file in the lynx source dir, as
he mentioned..