Sense and Sensibility (was: Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!)

Perrin Aybara vze24938 at verizon.net
Tue Jan 2 11:27:53 PST 2001

It's not even just that.  Most anyone on this list has already seen this
message run through once, along with all the responses (including the
one that pointed out exactly what this virus does and the different
subject headers, message bodies, and file attachment names that go with
the message in whatever language it comes in).  Here's a simple if
statement (not C, shell script):

if [ read_about_this_before = yes ]; then
open_message_and_or_attachment = no
elif [ read_about_this_before = no]; then
	if [ message_looks_strange ]; then
	open_message_and_or_attachment = no
	fi
fi
echo -en "\a\a\a\a\a\aVery good,Opie!\a\a\a\a\a\a"

Then again, that's just how I see it.  I try not to blame it all on the
fact that the virus exists--the message obviously doesn't look like it's
personal/from someone you know, and it doesn't look like something
somebody on this list would post.  The blame falls on the person who
even _opened the message_ in windows--I mean hell, at least screen
strange shit through a linux mail client or ask someone about it first.
As I always tell my dad "If you get any messages with attachments, make
sure they're from people you know and make sure that person knows they
sent it before you even consider opening the attachment."  Sure it sort
of takes the fun (*ahem* convenience) out of things, but in the long run
it's better to be safe than sorry.