Notes on installing LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 2 13:50:09 PST 2001

> 1. LFS-BOOK-INTEL-2.4.3-HTML/ch02-download.html:
> 	How to download the software
>
> Perhaps it should be made clear[er] that, while storing the source in
> subdirectories ($LFS/usr/src/sources/[a-z]) is a good idea, the unpacking
> and installation should be done in the /usr/src directory, as some of the
> commands given later assume this. It is mentioned, but it could be more
> explicit.

No problem.

> 2. LFS-BOOK-INTEL-2.4.3-HTML/ch04-creatingpart.html
> 	Creating a new partition
>
> 	"I recommend a partition size of around 750 MB"
>
> This is only large enough if one deletes the source directories after
> compilation. This should be made clear, and the space needed to hold
> everything should be given.

It's mentioned. I'll see though if it can be made clearer, although I think
this is pretty clear:

chapter 2, section "how to install software", bottom of the page. I quote:

<quote>
After you have installed a package you can do two things with it. You can
either delete the directory that contains the sources or you can keep it. If
you decide to keep it, that's fine by me. But if you need the same package
again in a later chapter you need to delete the directory first before using
it again. If you don't do this, you might end up in
trouble because old settings will be used (settings that apply to your normal
Linux system but which don't always apply to your LFS system). Doing a simple
make clean or make distclean does not always guarantee a totally clean source
tree. The configure script can also have files lying around in various
subdirectories which aren't always removed by a make clean process.

There is on exception to that rule: don't remove the linux kernel source
tree. A lot of programs need the kernel headers, so that's the only directory
you don't want to remove, unless you are not going to compile any software
anymore.
</quote>

> I had to mount one of my other partitions in order to get at the HTML
> book:
> 	mkdir /storm
> 	mount /dev/hda1 /storm

I figure that somebody can think him/herself to grab a txt version and put it
in $LFS/root or somewhere. Everybody will have vim and less installed so they
can easily read through the txt file if needed. I could recommend this, but I
always wondered how much hand-holding should be done.

> 4. /LFS-BOOK-INTEL-2.4.3-HTML/chapter09.html
> 	Chapter 9. Setting up basic networking
>
> Once I got the networking set up, I had another problem: no name server.
> I could reach the Internet only by giving the IP address, not the name.
> I am on a LAN which is connected to the net through a Linux gateway with
> by a cable modem. I had to put the addresses of my nameservers in
> /etc/resolv.conf:
>
> 	nameserver 24.112.32.13
> 	nameserver 24.112.32.14

That's beyond the scope of the book. There are good HOWTO's and Guide's at
www.linuxdoc.org that deal  with networking, ISP-Hookup and such.

> All in all, the installation went smoothly. I had a problem with compiling
> a few packages for dynamic linking which gave "unknown host"  error

That's often caused by a missing /usr/bin/cc symlink. Did you create that
symlink (along with a few others) after you installed gcc in chapter 5?

> I'm looking forward to a fully operational system that I compiled from
> scratch. Many thanks to Gerard Beekmans and the others who have
> contributed to LFS.

You're welcome Chris and I'm glad to hear you're enjoying it ;)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org