Pseudo-TTY

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 2 13:54:13 PST 2001

On January  2, 2001 01:02 pm, Perrin Aybara wrote:
> Okay, I'm starting to get really frustrated with this whole pseudo-tty
> situation.  Eterm, aterm, and rxvt refuse to start because the
> "pseudo-tty" device doesn't exist.  However, pty* and tty[a-whatever]*
> all exist, and I've made a symbolic link from ptya0 to pseudo-tty (and
> tried doing that with ttya0 too).  All the pty's and tty[a-whatever]'s
> are readable and writable by all (just for the time being trying to get
> this working), and /dev/pts is in /etc/fstab like someone suggested to
> this list earlier.  It's also readable and write-able by all.  What am I
> missing here?

Configure your kernel to run devpts (dynamic allocation of pseudo-tty's) - a
much cleaner and easier way to manage those pseudo-tty's. No more static
files in /dev to worry about

configure kernel to include it
run "mkdir /dev/pts"
run "mknod /dev/ptmx  c 5 2"
add thsi line to /etc/fstab
none            /dev/pts        devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0       0

mount it by running: mount /dev/pts

and all should be ok now. There should be no need to recompile glibc or
anything else.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org