gcc/chroot - update

Barry barry at hartford.uconn.edu
Tue Jan 2 14:05:02 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> > > so, any reference to simply '#include <stddef.h>' in a C program refers
> > > to stddef.h in /usr/include, or in the gcc header library if it doesn't
> > > exist in /usr/include...
> >
> > as you find out later these are in the private (i call it private due to lack
> > of a better term) gcc header dir /usr/lib/gcc-lib
> >
> > > as simply #include <stddef.h>
> >
> > and /usr/lib/gcc-lib/blah/bleh/include is in gcc's include patch.
> >
> > > re-installing gcc staticly may be necessary...
> >
> > that wont' really fix the header path problem. Let's wait for  Bill to run
> > the gcc --verbose <flags> argv.c command so we can see what paths gcc is
> > looking in.
>
> reason: static gcc is the one that's supposed to install the
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib directory and it's files. I believe he has reinstalled
> the static gcc already. Does /usr/lib/gcc-lib exist at all? I've never
> seen gcc not installing that directory, but you never know........

that's what I picked up on...

his find shows that stddef.h only exists in /usr/src/linux/include/linux
and in /usr/src/gcc-build/<blah>...

also, the paste that he had shown of the make that was done, shows that
it wasn't simply stddef.h that it was tripping on, but a number of other
header files that are also supposed to be in the private gcc header dir
(I think I'll adopt that, thanks :) )...

it would probably be a good idea to check on whether the dir even
exists.  I'm not sure at what point the make install script installs the
header files, but it's possible that something might have gotten fouled
(I have no idea how right now) in the middle of his 'make install' step
and static gcc got installed but not the private lib...

just going on the info I have, that is...

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org