gcc/chroot - update 2

Bill Suit csuit at cfl.rr.com
Wed Jan 3 13:06:36 PST 2001

On Wednesday 03 January 2001 12:39 pm, Barry wrote:
<cut>
> actually placed here.  Again, this means that you don't have a complete
> gcc installation...without any more information, the solution is the
> same...re-installing the static gcc...
>
> I'd suggest copying over the files manually from the source dir, but I
> can't be entirely sure that that is the only problem with your gcc
> installation...
>
> try installing again, with my 'echo $?' advice...that is, run the
> commands in the static make without typing && after the command... run
> each command seperately, typing echo $? at the prompt after each command
> runs.  If 'echo $?' returns a 0, then the last command was successful.
> If it returns anything else, then you have an error...

Hi Barry, the static install of gcc on the lfs system went smoothly. I
deleted all gcc stuff ( the bz2, gcc-build and the gcc-2.95.2 dir, first)
then unpacked and reinstalled it. The echo $? didn't hit "ones" until the
linking. I would have undone them first, but I didn't remember the command or
where to do it:

<cut>
make[2]: Nothing to be done for `install'.
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty/testsuite'
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/usr/src/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libiberty'
[root at hb1 gcc-build]# echo $?
0
[root at hb1 gcc-build]# cd $LFS/lib &&
>      ln -s ../usr/lib/gcc-lib/*/2.95.2/cpp cpp
ln: cpp: File exists
[root at hb1 lib]# echo $?
1
[root at hb1 lib]# cd $LFS/usr/lib &&
>      ln -s gcc-lib/*/2.95.2/cpp cpp
ln: cpp: File exists
[root at hb1 lib]# echo $?
1
[root at hb1 lib]# cd $LFS/usr/bin &&
>      ln -s gcc cc
ln: cc: File exists
[root at hb1 bin]# echo $?
1
[root at hb1 bin]#

Output from gcc install attempt in chroot:
<cut>
xgcc: ../libiberty/pic/strerror.o: No such file or directory
make[2]: *** [libstdc++-3-libc6.1-2-2.10.0.so] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcc-build/i686-pc-linux-gnu/libstdc++'
make[1]: *** [all-target-libstdc++] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/gcc-build'
make: *** [bootstrap] Error 2
root:/usr/src/gcc-build# echo $?
2
root:/usr/src/gcc-build#

The items preceding the xgcc line were similar in that there was no file or
directory for those items also.

HTH. 'Curious to see what this might tell you, other than he should re-format
his hd and start over :>)) . Bill

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org