Pseudo-TTY

Andy Goth andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com
Wed Jan 3 20:26:35 PST 2001

On Tuesday, January 02, 2001 13:56, Barry wrote:
> Perrin Aybara wrote:
> > Okay, I'm starting to get really frustrated with this whole
> > pseudo-tty situation.  Eterm, aterm, and rxvt refuse to start
> > because the "pseudo-tty" device doesn't exist.  However, pty* and
> > tty[a-whatever]* all exist, and I've made a symbolic link from
> > ptya0 to pseudo-tty (and tried doing that with ttya0 too).  All the
> > pty's and tty[a-whatever]'s are readable and writable by all (just
> > for the time being trying to get this working), and /dev/pts is in
> > /etc/fstab like someone suggested to this list earlier.  It's also
> > readable and write-able by all.  What am I missing here?
>
> the pty interface has changed.  If you have pty filesystem enabled in
> your kernel, the kernel will look for Unix pty devices in /dev/pts

With /dev/pts, may I delete /dev/pty* and /dev/ptmx?  Heh.  "Try it and see!"  I don't want to see!  Just tell me, please.

Also, I have a problem with my xterms...
Say I'm logged into tty0 and have an xterm open in (what else?) X.  In the xterm:

[andy at chainsaw|~]$ write andy tty0
Where are you?

Where are you?  What kind of a gay question is that?  Hehehe.  Also, in the xterm:

[andy at chainsaw|~]$ w
 10:23pm  up  1:22,  5 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.25, 0.24
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT
andy     tty1     -                10:20pm  3:25   0.07s  0.07s  -bash

Note that there's no reference to X.  After logging out of tty1, it's:

[andy at chainsaw|~]$ w
 10:24pm  up  1:22,  4 users,  load average: 0.37, 0.26, 0.25
USER     TTY      FROM              LOGIN@   IDLE   JCPU   PCPU  WHAT

Nobody!!  An annoying side effect of this mess is that people can't log into my computer and write me (and I can't write them back) without me telnetting back into myself in an xterm.

--
That is all.

Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  | aim: Un111

--Support your government, give Echelon / Carnivore something to parse--
broadband IEEE PPP Tcl/Tk lag beast Open Source killer app LFS highos
mipmapping localhost Windows will die FTP TFTP UDP TCP IP ISDN ISP mp3
ogg Gerard Gates VPN PGP GPG 3DES cp/m Linux system compromise attack
DMCA MPAA destroy destruct disband the USDA SPCA Information Society
vorbis InterNic funky SSL presidential erections foreign host takeover
NFS CODA RPC RC-P90 DD44 PP7 PP7 (silenced) AK47 OSDN kernel panic Magic
SysRq fsck fsck.ext2 fsck.vfat fsck.pentagonfs fsck.up.the.pentagon.fs

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org