Pseudo-TTY

Ghovs ghovs at ghovs.moo.ca
Thu Jan 4 02:12:13 PST 2001

On Thursday 04 January 2001 10:52, you wrote:
> On Thursday 04 January 2001 17:26, you wrote:
> > With /dev/pts, may I delete /dev/pty* and /dev/ptmx?  Heh.  "Try it and
> > see!"  I don't want to see!  Just tell me, please.
>
> I don't know about pty*, but you definitely can't delete ptmx. That's the
> master device for the pts system. Of course, you could simpify everything
> by moving to 2.4pre kernel, and using devfs - if you have some spare time
> to get it working.
>
> Simon.

for pseudo ttys, new style, to work, you need to have /dev/ptmx

11:08:35ghovs at ghovs - ~> ls /dev/ptmx -l
crw-rw----   1 root     uucp       5,   2 Jan  4 11:08 /dev/ptmx

and /dev/pts dir

11:08:57ghovs at ghovs - ~> ls -ld /dev/pts
drwxr-xr-x   2 root     root            0 Dec 11 12:16 /dev/pts

And that's pretty much it.
I'm not 100% sure if these permissions are right, but it _works_ this way and
the permissions on the actual ptys in /dev/pts are certainly secure.

rgds,
Peter de Freitas

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org