curious

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 03:20:32 PST 2001

Misquoted from Simon Perreault on 2001/01/ 4 at 15:19 +0000:
> On Thursday 04 January 2001 16:16, digital wrote:
> > Hey all,,just got the book and all software to install LFS. I am curious
> > do i really need a Distro pre installed or is there a way to prepare this
> > totally from gound zero. ie, fresh hard drive.
>
> How would you compile a compiler without a compiler? No, you need a distro.
> Well, at least a compiler and the necessary libraries and stuff.

If you are a complete masochist, and you have M$'s stable operating
system, you could use the DOS ports of gnu-tools. Just port one of
the kernel file system drivers to run on DOS, build yourself a
cross compiler and use that to do the static installation.

You would have to fiddle with any file names that are not 8.3
and deal with many of the other challanges M$ thoughtfully put
into DOS.

Or you could get the same feeling of progress and acheivement by
bashing your head against a wall for an hour or two ;-)

Richard
--
Tired of replacing dry wipe pens with permanent markers?
touch '/-fr .' # And wait for someone to delete the result

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org