curious

Andy Peeters andy.peeters at advalvas.be
Fri Jan 5 04:52:01 PST 2001

On Friday, January 05, 2001 11:59, Simon Geard wrote:

> On Friday 05 January 2001 10:16, you wrote:
> > Hey all,,just got the book and all software to install LFS. I am curious
> > do i really need a Distro pre installed or is there a way to prepare
this
> > totally from gound zero. ie, fresh hard drive.
>
> You need some sort of Linux in order to compile the packages. If you have
> such a thing, you could boot a linux install from a CD, and use that to
> compile and install an LFS. Not sure where you'd get such a creature
> though... make your own, LFS style?
>
> Simon.

I used Finnix to install LFS 2.4.3. Finnix is based on RH 6.1 and boots (and
runs) directly from
CD-ROM.

Worked for me. The only thing you need to do, is to get the sources on your
hard drive. Perhaps you can put them on the Finnix CD too, because Finnix
comes as an ISO file of 300MB (perhaps a little bit more) so still plenty of
space left.

url: www.finnix.org

Andy.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org