Pseudo-TTY

Rudolf Floers r.floers at web.de
Fri Jan 5 11:54:02 PST 2001

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:26:35PM -0600, Andy Goth wrote:

> With /dev/pts, may I delete /dev/pty* and /dev/ptmx?  Heh.  "Try it and see!"  I don't want to see!  Just tell me, please.

i do only have /dev/ptmx and /dev/pts/, no pty* (char-major-2) and no
char-major-3 tty*.
i do not have any "write", "w" problems. so i think it's safe to remove
all of those files (above). but do _not_ delete ptmx and the pts directory.
as mentioned, you need to have pts support compiled into the kernel and
the pts filesystem must be mounted.

cu,
Rudolf

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org