XFS ?

Oren J Byer ojbyer at usa.net
Sun Jan 7 18:10:56 PST 2001

> I remember hearing a while back about XFS.  Has anyone tried this FS?
>
> -Steve

I just got done migrating all the data I was keeping on an XFS partition to
a reiserfs partition. It worked great until I had a bad shutdown due to a
power loss. When I rebooted, it would crash the machine upon mounting the
partition when it started to run a recovery on the filesystem. I had to
downgrade to an earlier version to the the partition mounted. Also, last
time I checked they only had three versions available for download:

october beta -  patch against 2.4.0-test5
november beta - patch against 2.4.0-test11
cvs version - a complete 2.4.0 kernel source with XFS support.

I never did try the cvs version, since I don't have the bandwidth to
download a complete, uncompressed kernel.

Until this recent crash it worked just fine. Filesystem creation and
mounting is faster than reiserfs, didn't notice a big speed difference.

The web page for XFS on linux is here:
http://oss.sgi.com/projects/xfs/index.html

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org