Gnome hint (Was: Suggest update X Guide)

Perrin Aybara vze24938 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 11 15:10:57 PST 2001

I'm talking about the _latest_ stuff in the "stable" tree.  On my last
LFS build that's what I used, and I found myself having to get stuff
from the unstable tree because the configure scripts for some packages
would fail without it.  Then you'd even get the recursive dependences,
where initial package A asked for package B which you didn't have, and
package B is asking for a package C you didn't have and never heard of,
and so forth and so on.  I don't remember some of them, and that LFS
build is now a memory, but it was a bit of an experience.  Let me put it
this way: Bonobo's dependencies were lightweight compared to the search
& retrieve missions I went on for some of this stuff.
Anyway, I'm sort of considering it a moot point for myself now--I've
realized that I rarely ever use Gnome anyway, so I don't think I'll be
building a full gnome install in future distributions.  I'm good with
Windowmaker (or even Afterstep, failing that).  Good time too, since
development on Windowmaker just got a couple little kicks in the arse.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org