booting lfs - ongoing VFS error msg

Bill Suit csuit at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 11 23:53:53 PST 2001

On Thursday 11 January 2001 09:35 pm, Rudolf wrote:
> just to make sure i understood...
>
> > /dev/hde1 / ext2 rw 0 0
>
> hde1 is the primary disk, 1st part. of the external controller.
> mandrake boots with hde1 as root part. with no problems.
>
> > /dev/hdf1 /mnt/lfs ext2 rw 0 0
>
> hdf1 is first part. on the second device of the ext. contr.
> hdf1 is the partition which contains the completed lfs system.

The above is correct.

> hmmm..
> could you boot into mandrake, mount hdf1 and check if it is a
> ext2 partition containing a complete lfs system?

When I boot Mdk /dev/hdf1 automatically boots, as it's included in my fstab:

[root at hb1 /etc]# cat fstab
/dev/hde1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
none /dev/pts devpts mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hde7 /home ext2 defaults 1 2
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
none /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/hde6 /usr ext2 defaults 1 2
/dev/hde5 swap swap defaults 0 0
/dev/hdf1 /mnt/lfs ext2 defaults 1 1
~

> please mail your lilo.conf to this mailing list.
> rudolf
My lilo.conf file:
boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
        label=old_linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
        label=old1_failsafe
        root=/dev/hde1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        vga=788
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-nonfb
        root=/dev/hde1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hde1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
image=/boot/lfskernel
        label=lfs
        root=/dev/hdf1
        read-only
~
~
~
> ps: why has this issue got several, seperated threads?

Ain't got no idea.

> uh, 2nd ps: i strongly recommend scsi ... ;)

The next box I build will be scsi for sure :>). Bill

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org