X11 revised

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Sat Jan 13 14:35:20 PST 2001

On Saturday 13 January 2001 15:31, you wrote:
> At 11:34 PM 1/12/01 -0500, Simon Perreault wrote:
> >Thanks a lot Sergey! Once again, that's a top quality hint!
>
> Unfortunately, I haven't had tons of luck with it, <sheepishly> although I
> have not followed it to the letter. </sheepishly>  I'm describing the
> following problem because it takes several hours to compile X on my
> computer, so it'd be really tough to narrow down the solution on my own.
>
> Sergey mentions using optimizations in his hint, so, in host.def, I set
> ^OPT^ to "-O3 -mcpu=i686 -march=i686".  It was later in host.def when I
> veered from his hint.  I had previously installed Tcl and Tk version 8.3 as
> shared libraries, so I uncommented the lines
> #define HasTk   YES
> and
> #define HasTcl  YES
> and all of the other lines that seemed to be related to these.  I also set
> it so that XF86Setup would not link Tcl and Tk statically.  (BTW--the
> #define lines here are as I remember them; I do not have host.def in front
> of me and therefore they may not be exact, but you know what I'm talking
> about, right?)
>
> Ok.  So I successfully built and installed X using some optimizations and
> shared versions of Tcl and Tk version 8.3.  When I run X using blackbox, it
> crashes.  A previous installation of X worked fine, where I used no
> optimizations, and didn't define Tcl and Tk.  I'm wondering whether its
> current crashiness would be because of the -O3 or the Tcl/Tk?
>
> (On a side note, I'm wondering if it's actually necessary to define Tcl/Tk
> in host.def?  I mean, I had them installed, so it seemed appropriate to
> define them, but I don't know what significance doing so might actually
> have.)
>
> Thanks.  Oh, and Sergey, it's a nice, clear hint.  The underlying problem
> here is that I tend to tinker without knowing what I'm doing.  %-)
>
> --Geoff

Sorry, can't help with that. Never used Tcl/Tk.
It is also unclear what these definitions might mean,
because, to my understanding, #define Has<something> in context
of X11 means "I have this installed already" and additionally "therefore do
not build/install this" and/or "therefore it can be used when building X"
I can't imagine how X, real ancestor of all this windowing/widget stuff,
can rely on any of wigdet libraries, be it Motif, Lesstif, Tk, Qt or whatever.
This is an interesting question.

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org