Occasional hard drive freezings when compiling?

Geoff Stanbury geeyoff at zerohour.net
Sun Jan 14 19:14:30 PST 2001

Hi.  Does anybody else ever have this problem?  Shamefully, it only seems
to happen in linux, not in Windows 95.

Sometimes (not all the time) when I'm compiling something big and
important, like GCC or glibc or X, everything just STOPS fairly late into
the build.  The hard drive light is left on, and the keyboard and mouse
stop functioning completely.  When I manually hit the reset button on my
computer's case, it basically shuts down, and then, before anything appears
on the monitor, the computer begins beeping this really worrying interval
of thirds (sorry, music, not computer, terminology) which kind of sounds
like "UHHHHH-OHHHHHH!!!  UHHHHH-OHHHHH!"

So then I completely shut off the computer, and then on again, and it works
ok, except it has to fsck the filesystem because it wasn't cleanly unmounted.

When I'm really unlucky, it'll freeze in the same way in the middle of the
resulting fsck, and I'll just have to restart the same way and hope that it
won't happen a third time.

I've got a Maxtor 7500 rpm eide 20.0 gig hard drive, and it might have
something to do with that, because this never happened with either of my
previous Western Digital drives.  Has anyone heard anything that could
confirm/deny this?  I'm also planning on upgrading the kernel from 2.2.17
to 2.4.0 tonight, to see if that does anything.  But mostly, I'm just if
anyone has ever experienced anything like this before.

Thanks.

--Geoff

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org