Occasional hard drive freezings when compiling?

Andy Goth andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com
Sun Jan 14 20:41:23 PST 2001

On Sunday, January 14, 2001 22:36, Geoff Stanbury wrote:
> At 09:23 PM 1/14/01 -0600, Andy Goth wrote:
> > >  I'm also planning on
> > > upgrading the kernel from 2.2.17 to 2.4.0 tonight, to see if that
> > > does anything.
> >
> >Hey, me too!  I mean, I'm planning on rebuilding everything else to
> > go along with it.
>
> How are you going about doing this?  Are you using the LFS-Howto from
> start to finish, or do you have some sort of neat little shortcut
> where you can sort of rebuild everything and install it over what
> you've already got (so that you don't have to spend all that time
> with disk partitioning and startup files and stuff...)

No, I had a 3 gigabyte hard disk with nothing on it, so I put a reiserfs on it and mounted it to /mnt/new.  I am now generally following the howto.  Note that I am not following it exactly because I'm using different versions of some things.

I do still have all the source I downloaded for LFS for the first time, and I've been keeping them fairly up-to-date via patches.  I'm also downloading KDE via CVS.  Since it changes frequently enough, I'm not going to mess with snapshots anymore.

> Is it bad to leap from 2.2.x to 2.4.x when so many programs were
> built against the old kernel?

I'll find out.  I'm generally pretty capable with programs that don't-quite-but-almost fit.  I've fixed bugs and junk in the source code to make it all work.
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org