help using patch

ken_i_m ken_i_m at elegantinnovations.com
Sun Jan 14 21:00:36 PST 2001

At 11:19 PM 1/14/01 -0500, you wrote:

>On Sunday 14 January 2001 23:13, ken_i_m wrote:
> > Hey,
> >
> > I can not seem to get a handle on the use of patch. It seems that the
> > options to be given patch depends on the type of diff file that is being
> > applied. That being the case how to I determine the nature of the diff
> > file? I have read the patch man page so many times I nearly have it
> > memorized but it might as well be in Greek for all the good it does me.
>
>patch -Np1 < patchfile

hurumph....mumble....mumble

In this particular case the given options and sytax worked. I have stumbled
around and found other  combinations that worked. Sometimes (as in the LFS
guide) the command is given and IIRC sometimes is different from the above.
So, my question still holds, "How and/or what do I look for in the diff
file to tell what options/syntax to give patch?" Of course, I may just be
getting feeble of mind. After all, I can't tell you what I had for
breakfast, have thinning hair, failing eyesight, and can only get it up
eight or nine times a night. It sucks getting old.

I think, therefore, ken_i_m

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org