help using patch

Andy Goth andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com
Sun Jan 14 21:06:37 PST 2001

> >patch -Np1 < patchfile
>
> hurumph....mumble....mumble
>
> In this particular case the given options and sytax worked. I have
> stumbled around and found other  combinations that worked. Sometimes
> (as in the LFS guide) the command is given and IIRC sometimes is
> different from the above. So, my question still holds, "How and/or
> what do I look for in the diff file to tell what options/syntax to
> give patch?" Of course, I may just be getting feeble of mind. After
> all, I can't tell you what I had for breakfast, have thinning hair,
> failing eyesight, and can only get it up eight or nine times a night.
> It sucks getting old.

Unfortunately no one is immune to "getting old".  I just turned seventeen and have *some* of those symptoms.  Guess which.  Hehehe.  (Luckily, getting it _down_ is a more pertinent concern for me.)

diff files, properly made, should work with patch -p1 < patchfile.  If they were created backwards, use -R.  -N, above, is for ignoring some warnings.

--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org