help using patch

Jesse Tie Ten Quee highos at highos.com
Sun Jan 14 21:16:42 PST 2001

Yo,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2001 at 10:00:36PM -0700, ken_i_m wrote:
> In this particular case the given options and sytax worked. I have stumbled
> around and found other  combinations that worked. Sometimes (as in the LFS
> guide) the command is given and IIRC sometimes is different from the above.
> So, my question still holds, "How and/or what do I look for in the diff
> file to tell what options/syntax to give patch?" Of course, I may just be
> getting feeble of mind. After all, I can't tell you what I had for
> breakfast, have thinning hair, failing eyesight, and can only get it up
> eight or nine times a night. It sucks getting old.

'patch -Np1 < patchfile' like above is no different the what LFS uses,
'patch -Np1 -i patchfile', the only difference is that what was given here
will pipe the patch file to standard input(stdin), where as -i patchfile will
tell patch to read in the patchfile itself..

Considering that's the two different ways you found :)

-

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org