Occasional hard drive freezings when compiling?...and also a KDE2 question

Scott Alfter salfter at salfter.dyndns.org
Mon Jan 15 11:08:09 PST 2001

On Sun Jan 14 2001 - 22:23:29 EST, Andy Goth (andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com) wrote:
>On Sunday, January 14, 2001 21:14, Geoff Stanbury wrote:
>> I've got a Maxtor 7500 rpm eide 20.0 gig hard drive, and it might
>> have something to do with that, because this never happened with
>> either of my previous Western Digital drives. Has anyone heard
>> anything that could confirm/deny this?
>
>I hear Maxtors and Western Digitals aren't reliable. I have two Fujitsus and
>a Samsung in this computer.

I haven't had problems with the Western Digital drives I've bought.  As for
Maxtor, I've had several of 'em crap out within the first three months.
Some haven't even gotten through one month before going tango-uniform.
(More specifically, I went through three 5.1GB Maxtors in five months a few
years ago.  I had the store exchange the last one for a Western Digital in
the same capacity.  That drive is still running.  More recently, a
customer's server's hard drive died.  I needed a hard drive right away and
Maxtor was the only brand available, so I bought a 20GB drive and installed
it.  It was spitting out errors within a month.  I swapped that drive for a
Western Digital (the store had gotten some in) and haven't heard of any
trouble since.)

>> I'm also planning on
>> upgrading the kernel from 2.2.17 to 2.4.0 tonight, to see if that
>> does anything. But mostly, I'm just if anyone has ever experienced
>> anything like this before.
>
>Hey, me too! I mean, I'm planning on rebuilding everything else to go along
>with it.

I'm fairly new to LFS, so I have new everything--Linux 2.4.0 with reiserfs,
XF86 4.0.2, KDE 2.0.1, etc.  Speaking of KDE, here's a question:  the KDE
desktop won't start automatically.  When using kdm to log in, I can log in
in failsafe mode and run startkde in the xterm that comes up.  When I try
the screen goes black, and I'm dumped back into the login screen.  .xsession
is fairly simple:

#!/bin/bash -login
exec /usr/local/kde2/bin/startkde

What am I doing wrong that would cause this behavior?  (I had a hell of a
time getting KDE compiled, but that was the result of egrep being screwed up
and causing configure to not work right, libtool not compiled right, etc.)

Scott Alfter
salfter at salfter.dyndns.org