Devices.txt

Chad Simmons hoopak at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 15 14:41:45 PST 2001

Ok, this is my first time posting to this list so bear with me.

I'm thinking about writing a perl parsing script for reading the devices.txt
file and making the appropriate nodes in the /dev dir.

(Yes I know there's a MAKEDEV script, and I also know other's have posted on
this topic before, and I also know about devfs)

My question before attempting this is... Are there any devices that I should
not create? Meaning are there any that require any special configuration
before they are created, and/or is there any testing that should be done
prior to their creation, and/or are there any that should not be created at
all except in very specific circumstances.

I assumed from the nature of the MAKEDEV script that it didn't cause any
problems to have the inodes there, they just wouldn't do anything. But as
I'm not incredibly familiar with device files and drivers in linux I figured
I should ask.

Thank's for your time.
Chad Simmons