Kernel 2.4(-ac#) and PPP

Sergey Ostrovsky sostrovsky at snip.net
Mon Jan 15 17:03:22 PST 2001

On Monday 15 January 2001 19:56, you wrote:
> On Monday 15 January 2001 11:40, you wrote:
> > Has anyone noticed any problems at all with PPP support in the 2.4 series
> > kernel? I've been unable to compile PPP support as a module (ppp.o
> > doesn't show). I'm wondering if I need to update pppd...
>
> Yes, I have the same problem. I'm using what I think is the latest version
> - 2.4.0b4, and I get the same problem. No matter what instructions I put in
> modules.conf, pppd will not automatically load the ppp modules. It works if
> the modules are manually loaded, but won't do it automatically.
>
> Simon.
Folks, something is wrong with what you're doing.
I built my first system around glibc-2.1.3 with kernel 2.2, then upgraded to
kernel 2.4test10 and discovered it doesn't work with ppp-2.3.11.
So I upgraded ppp to 2.4.0 - no problem.
Then I built my second system around glibc-2.2, which itself was built against
kernel 2.4.0 heades, has devfs, and again have had no problems.
This is to say that IMHO ppp is pretty tough.
Look again in ppp-2.4.0 docs about things that you should put in
/etc/modules/conf - the best I can suggest.

Sergey Ostrovsky.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org