building lfs for NS Geode MediaGXm target

Andrew Plumb andrew at plumb.org
Tue Jan 16 13:21:25 PST 2001

Has anyone built lfs for a MediaGXm target machine?  If so, any
suggestions/caveats for CFLAGS settings?  I've just started an attempt
using:
  CFLAGS="-O3 -march=i586"
  CXXFLAGS=$CFLAGS

....but the processor has MMX extensions so perhaps I should be doing
-march=i686 instead?

I'm doing the build on my dual P2-333 because my target machine is a
little Advantech PCM-5822
(http://www.advantech.com/products/PCM-5822.asp).  I was able to squeeze
an absolutely minimal Debian install into ~90MB of my 128MB CompactFlash
boot device; the other ~24MB was the DOS boot partition.  I did this by
copying the entire Debian CD to a partition of a little PCMCIA-mounted 1GB
Microdrive; digital gymnastics to say the least. :-)

(Un)fortunately, this is a less-than elegant solution.  Trying to make
enough room for a complete-enough development environment on that machine
lands up breaking more than it enables.  Without a functional development
environment on-machine I can't compile the audio and video drivers
specific to the board, among other things...

My goal now is to build and tailor a minimal install for the whole board,
using my desktop box.  Suggestions?  Present /proc/cpuinfo on the target
machine is:

processor       : 0
vendor_id       : CyrixInstead
cpu family      : 5
model           : 7
model name      : Cyrix MediaGXtm MMXtm Enhanced
stepping        : 4
fdiv_bug        : no
hlt_bug         : no
sep_bug         : no
f00f_bug        : no
coma_bug        : no
fpu             : yes
fpu_exception   : yes
cpuid level     : 2
wp              : yes
flags           : fpu msr cx8 cmov 16 mmx cxmmx
bogomips        : 57.14

Thoughts and/or suggestions?  Thanks!

Andrew.

--