help using patch

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 16 14:12:14 PST 2001

On January 15, 2001 09:05 am, ken_i_m wrote:
> At 01:44 PM 1/15/01 +0100, you wrote:
> >You didn't even look into one of your patch-files, did you?
>
> um . . . actually I did. This is the first line from the patch I applied:
>
> diff -adurpN glibc-2.2/CONFORMANCE glibc-2.2.1/CONFORMANCE

patch -p1 < file
or
patch -p1 -i file

is the general patch commands and works in 99% of the cases. If not, it's a
faulty patch file. I usaully add -N to patch which ignores patches that
already seem applied.

> can't find file to patch at input line 290543
> Perhaps you should have used the -p or --strip options?
> The text leading up to this was:
> *snip*
> File to patch: _          # the underbar would be the blinking prompt at

Look at that line (290543) and see which file they are talking about. Perhaps
you're not using the exact same package as the patcher was using, so you can
have different files.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org