lfs-hint filename style

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jan 16 16:42:14 PST 2001

> I'm all against this.
> 1) Konqueror cannot deal with that CVS thing. Well, the version 2.0.1 at
> least.
> 2) It's more pretty.
> 3) The hints are often visited by newbies. They will be very confused by
> that CVS thing.

Well I just removed it anyways and let me give counter arguments for yours:

1) I used konqueror from kde-2.0.1 and it works fine on
cvs.linuxfromscratch.org. The hints display nicely.

2) Prettiness isn't something i care for in this case: i come again with my
previous argument: why browse that 12 hour old archive when you have
something else available that's always up-to-date. Why stop 'progress'
because it may not look pretty or people aren't used to it (so they can learn
to get used to it, or we can try to get a better web interface).

3) I've added a small comment on linuxfromscratch.org/services/lfshints.php
that you shouldn't click on the filename but on the revision number next to
it. If people can't read, then there's not much we can do, right?

I haven't removed the hint-update script by the way, I just disabled that
particular cron job. If this really proves to be horrible and people really
can't figure it out by simply reading before clicking I can always start
running that cron job again. Let's give it a try, we may be suprised for a
change ;o)

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org