ssh(d)

Andy Goth andy at chainsaw.grimnok.com
Tue Jan 16 20:44:20 PST 2001

On Tuesday, January 16, 2001 16:01, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On January 14, 2001 06:45 pm, Andy Goth wrote:
> > Quick question:
> >
> > (This came out of NOWHERE.  I don't know what I did to cause this!)
> >
> > I can ssh out perfectly well, but I can't ssh back into this
> > computer (from localhost or anywhere else).
>
> Before you try anything else (after reading all the replies so far)
> try this:
>
> kill sshd
>
> now run it with:
>
> sshd -d
>
> this will run sshd in foreground. Go to diff. terminal, logon to it.
> Run ssh -v localhost and see waht happens on your ssh output and also
> check your sshd output. The sshd output will probably give you more
> info

Thanks.

Connection from 127.0.0.1 port 994
debug1: Client protocol version 1.5; client software version OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: no match: OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Local version string SSH-1.99-OpenSSH_2.3.0p1
debug1: Sent 768 bit public key and 1024 bit host key.
debug1: Encryption type: 3des
debug1: Received session key; encryption turned on.
debug1: Installing crc compensation attack detector.
debug1: Starting up PAM with username "andy"
fatal: PAM initialisation failed[26]: Critical error - immediate abort
debug1: Calling cleanup 0x8062414(0x0)
[and then sshd quits]

Alright.  So where can I find a good guide to PAM?

/me checks the lfs-hints site.

Oh, right, I already read that document.  I'll just be sure to do it all again with my new LFS build, and I'll be sure that it gets configured.  Need I recompile anything to ensure that it takes advantage of PAM?
--
Andy Goth  |  unununium at openverse.org  |  uin: 35256413  |  aim: Un111

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org