Two small questions

Richard Lightman richard at reika.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 17 07:15:55 PST 2001

Misquoted from Jan on 2001/01/17 at 07:21 +0000:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:09:04 -0500 (EST), Steve Hayashi said:
>
> > First, when I shut down, is there anyway to get linux to actually send a
> >  termination to the power supply so it can actually shut down? (W2k does
> >  this all time, whether I want it to or not).  And yes, my system IS ATX
>
> You can try to compile the kernel with ACPI support, but it didn't work for me
> because of an incomplete implementation in the BIOS. Instead activate "Advanced
> Power Management BIOS support". I compiled it into the kernel and I don'n know
> if it'll work as a module. And perhaps you should activate APM or ACPI in the
> BIOS.

Easy way:
Compile kernel with APM support. The kernel will use bios APM calls to
handle power management. The bios will then control the power management
hardware, which may be ACPI.

Medium way:
Compile kernel with ACPI support and install the APCI user space code.
The kernel will then access the APCI hardware without using the bios.
http://developer.intel.com/technology/iapc/acpi/downloads/acpid-071100.tar.gz

Pointless way:
Compile support for APM and ACPI into the kernel. The kernel will use ACPI
in preference to APM. If the user space tools are not installed, the kernel
wil NOT use APM.

At present, the user tools only support power down. If you are using
a laptop, you may be better of using APM for now because some other power
saving features will work.

Richard

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org