lfs boot error message - initial console

Bill Suit csuit at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jan 18 03:26:09 PST 2001

In reference to my inability to get the lfs kernel to boot my 40gig hd (for
any number of reasons), Gerard Beekmans said I could use my existing Mandrake
7.2 kernel image and wrote:

>Use that kernel in /etc/lilo.conf and set the proper root to point to the
>LFS
>partition. If the kernel can boot mandrake it would be very strange if it
>can't boot LFS (it's the same thing to the kenrel anyways, just a different
>root partition)

I'm just now able to get back to this. The new error message is "unable to
mount an initial console".

/dev/hde is 4 gigs. /dev/hdf is 40gigs. Here are my lfs pertinent files:

[root at hb1 etc]# cat fstab
# Begin /etc/fstab

/dev/hdf1 / ext2 defaults 1 1
/dev/hde5 swap swap defaults 0 0
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0

# End /etc/fstab

 [root at hb1 etc]# cat mtab
cat: mtab: No such file or directory
[root at hb1 etc]#

 [root at hb1 etc]# cat lilo.conf
boot=/dev/hde
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
default=linux
keytable=/boot/us.klt
lba32
prompt
timeout=100
message=/boot/message
menu-scheme=wb:bw:wb:bw
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
        label=old_linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-21mdk
        label=old1_failsafe
        root=/dev/hde1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
other=/dev/fd0
        label=floppy
        unsafe
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hde1
        vga=788
        read-only
        append="idebus=66"
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=linux-nonfb
        root=/dev/hde1
        read-only
image=/boot/vmlinuz
        label=failsafe
        root=/dev/hde1
        append=" failsafe"
        read-only
image=/boot/linuz-2.2.17-21mdk
        label=lfs
        root=/dev/hdf1
        read-only
        append="idebus=66"

Here is Mdk7.2 info:

[root at hb1 /etc]# cat mtab
/dev/hde1 / ext2 rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
none /dev/pts devpts rw,mode=0620 0 0
/dev/hde7 /home ext2 rw 0 0
/mnt/cdrom /mnt/cdrom supermount rw,fs=iso9660,dev=/dev/cdrom 0 0
/mnt/floppy /mnt/floppy supermount rw,fs=vfat,dev=/dev/fd0 0 0
/dev/hde6 /usr ext2 rw 0 0
/dev/hdf1 /mnt/lfs ext2 rw 0 0
/proc/bus/usb /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs rw 0 0
automount(pid442) /misc autofs rw,fd=8,pgrp=442,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0
automount(pid459) /net autofs rw,fd=8,pgrp=459,minproto=2,maxproto=4 0 0

lilo.conf is as above.

What is my next step? TIA, Bill

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org