clearing the tty before login

Chad Simmons hoopak at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 18 14:11:36 PST 2001

From: Daniel Roethlisberger <admin at roe.ch>
>To: lfs-apps at linuxfromscratch.org
>Subject: Re: clearing the tty before login
>Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 22:55:41 +0100
>

> > Put a clear code (usually ^L) in the issue file. Look in
> > /etc/login.defs to see which exact file this is. I used
> > linux_logo to generate my issue file in the past and one of the
> > options was to include the screen clearing code.
>
>^L did not have the effect I was hoping for. It was just
>displayed as empty line. It did not clear the screen at all...
>(and yes: I inserted ^L as a single character, not as ^ and L)

Unfortunately the clear screen code is emulation dependant.
However, for most emulations the following string should work.

ESC[2J

Where ESC is the escape charactor (You can type this by hitting a ctrl-v
then hitting the esc key). Try putting that where you want to clear the
screen and see if it works better.

Chad Simmons