quote properly (here's the internet-police)

Donnie Roos dr at kaneda.demon.nl
Sat Jan 20 00:42:05 PST 2001

At 05:14 PM 1/19/01 -0500, atark at thepipeline.net wrote:

>Since when it there a "proper" way to quote.

Since forever. Used on Usenet, fido-net and email-lists for ages.
It's based on RealLife. You write a reply-letter or talk on a
point to point basis. If someone says something and gives four
reasons in favour of his argument do you just start blabbering
a story or would you give counter-arguments for each of his
arguments?

> Maybe I don't like doing it the way you do.

You don't have to. But there are many subscribers to these lists.
Therefore many people will read your message. It is just polite
to include only minimal text. Don't waste people's time trying
to figure out who said what. It really starts getting important
when your on a 3rd or fourth reply when discussing with multiple
people.

And please tell me. Why was my whole message quoted (including
list signature) what did it add to your message?

>It would do alot more good to cut down on the useless
>chatter and holy wars.  (Even thought I'm not following my own advice
>here, I haven't been involved in the many other lately.)

There hasn't been a holy war I quite some time. If there has been
I have missed it or I still need to read it (need to catch up)

And I don't consider my post to be the start of an holy war.
Maybe it will get a bit warmer but we shall not be burned by
flames :-)

Donnie Roos

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org