RFC from the list

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Jan 20 13:45:29 PST 2001

On January 20, 2001 02:45 pm, Jason Gurtz wrote:
> Hey guys and gals,

Heya

> on that machine, and has never given me any trouble at all.  The other
> option I would consider is postfix.  I like the thinking behind it's
> design, and IIRC it supports having mail users without them having a real
> account on the machine (or was that exim?)  Still, it is (relativly) new
> software, so i have the tendency to not trust it.  My question here is, as
> I know there lots of postfix users around, have any of U ever had a postfix
> system going for  > 1 year without restart of postfix or reboot of machine?
>  Mail volume will be light, the only abuse being the transfer of large
> attachments.

I haven't been running linuxfromscratch.org for a year. The longest uptime so
far was around 90 days (loaded new kernel or was it the power failure...one
of the two) and currently it's been up for 40 days. The server went up on
August 15 last year and has been running without problems so far. I had never
had to restart postfix so far so it has pretty much been running for some 5
months without a glitch. The email load on the server is quite high I might
add. Let's see if I can get an estimate:

lfs-discuss had about 300 subscribers on the average between Aug and now
(right now we're at ~350). I think by saying lfs-discuss receives about 30
messages a day we're not far off base so that's 9,000 messages a day for that
list.

lfs-apps didn't always exist the way it does now. we've had more lists but
assume that lfs-apps always was the way it is with an average of 250
subscribers (~290 right now) and receives at least 40 messages a day which
makes 10,000 emails a day.

Not including other low volume lists like the alfs-* lists and all the
personal mail the server handles (for me and others) and let's not forget the
huge amount of bounces coming from servers like home.com and whatnot, postfix
dealing with 19,500 messages a day would be quite accurate, I think.

And that without causing high loads. I'm very impressed with how postfix
performs.

All I can say is that if postfix on linuxfromscratch.org can work through
nearly 20 thousand messages a day as if it was nothing, I'm sure it can
handle your light email load as if it wasn't even there.

>     Then there is the matter of DNS.  I will be running BIND, but I'm
> wondering to go with the tried and true 8.2.2PL7  or go with the new 9.0.0
> What does bcpub use for DNS servers.  That is probably what I would go
> with.

We're running bind 8.2.2 PL5 on both of the servers (the primary and
secundary). I have a couple of upgrades planned which includes the tried and
true 8.2.2 PL7 and I'm going to give bind 9.x a test run on shadowfax for a
while and see how it performs (i'm going to let shadowfax use
linuxfromscratch.org as it's DNS server which runs bind 9 and i'll have the
8.2.2 PL7 servers as backups available in /etc/resolv.con just in case.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-apps-request at linuxfromscratch.org